Thursday, May 13, 2010

The Canticle Kingdom

The cover of Michael Young’s book, The Canticle Kingdom, is one of my all time favorite covers. I love it. I love the gold writing and the subtle music score in the background. The colors are perfect. I was very excited to pick up the book and start reading.


The storyline hops between war-torn Germany and the Canticle Kingdom, a magical land completely hidden and contained within a beautiful music box. When select people outside the music box get pulled into the world within, those left behind work to figure out what’s going on and how to get their loved ones back.


Meanwhile, within the kingdom (this is where the bulk of the story takes place) Johann and Brigitta, thirteen-year-old best friends, get thrown into an ongoing battle between the knights who are defending the kingdom and the evil power trying to take over. Okay, it’s a little more complicated than that and has a lot of twists and turns but that’s the gist of it. Anyway, Johann ends up being trained to fight while Brigitta must figure out her role in saving the kingdom from ruin.


The jumping back and forth in the story was a bit confusing at first and I had trouble following from time to time, but I got the hang of it after a bit. There were a couple of events that were never resolved, but I’m hoping they will be in the next book. Even with the lingering questions, the ending was very satisfying, and the questions and mysteries raised throughout the book kept me moving forward. Happily, as we learned from Michael’s interview, the story does not end there and we’ll be able to find out what happens with Johann and Brigitta.

I'm glad to have read this book.

1 comment:

  1. I love that cover as well. So warm and inviting looking. Sounds like an interesting read too.

    ReplyDelete